Totems

General discussions, named after our Out of Character gathering point in our game.

Totems

Postby SilverGnawer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 pm

Out of curiosity, can we get a heads up on some of the totems being worked on at the moment? I've had a few ideas since I have packing on the brain but if some of my ideas are already being worked on, I'd rather focus on ones that aren't. :)

I'd love to see more city-ish ones? A lot of our current ones are more woods-centric. :)
SilverGnawer

Re: Totems

Postby InleRah » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:47 pm

The list is extensive. We finished the two that got published earlier this morning, and I have yet to pick the next one to start fiddling with. In all honesty, it could be any of them. And I have a list of suggestions (and at least one or two submitted writeups from players) for new ones.

As or city types, off the top of my head I know we were thinking of writing one for Pigeon. A slightly unusual idea someone mentioned was for Traffic Light. If you have specific ideas for cool city oriented ones, feel free to send them our way. I'd love to see them.

Of course, if you have ideas for any new totems, I'd love to hear from you.

InleRah
Spirit/Totem/Fetish Wiz
InleRah wizard of spirits, umbra, totems and fetishes
current pcs: Lefty, Phoebe
past pcs: Joseph, Signe, Merin, Laura, Various kin
InleRah

Postby SilverGnawer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:11 pm

A few that have popped into my head: Yellow Journalism (Cunning), City Father (needs rewrite), Squirrel (because it is the city!), The Industrial Spirit (Hi, weaaaaver), and a /good/ Almighty Dollar/Spirit of Commerce. Something respecty might not be bad either.
SilverGnawer

Postby SilverGnawer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Also, Yellow Journalism could easily be Newspaper or Spirit of Knowledge or something along those lines.
SilverGnawer

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:35 pm

I liked Dog already, but I like the rewrite even more, and Peregrine is pretty awesome. :D

I think maybe adding in Alley Cat might be a good idea, as a counterpoint to Dog (and another Cunning Totem, which we have a derth of). I think there's a writeup around for that somewhere.

Would a 'Spirit of the Radio' Totem be out of question? Sort of a city-ish, air-related/communication-centric Totem? Maybe Respect, since Radio has been around for so long, and has even made it into space via sattelites?

Another option, as a city wisdom Totem, might be something skyscraper-ish, related maybe to glass (Mirrorglass, maybe just 'Skyscraper'...). It could be related to reflections and containing knowledge or reaching for knowledge, that kind of thing.
"As the ancient Hindu philosophy states, 'Don't start none, won't be none.'"
Tim

Postby Jamethon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Tim wrote:I liked Dog already, but I like the rewrite even more, and Peregrine is pretty awesome. :D

I think maybe adding in Alley Cat might be a good idea, as a counterpoint to Dog (and another Cunning Totem, which we have a derth of). I think there's a writeup around for that somewhere.

Would a 'Spirit of the Radio' Totem be out of question? Sort of a city-ish, air-related/communication-centric Totem? Maybe Respect, since Radio has been around for so long, and has even made it into space via sattelites?

Another option, as a city wisdom Totem, might be something skyscraper-ish, related maybe to glass (Mirrorglass, maybe just 'Skyscraper'...). It could be related to reflections and containing knowledge or reaching for knowledge, that kind of thing.

Tower of Babil? :)
Jamethon

Postby Nargalsius » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:06 pm

I'm thinking of submitting at least one from an older book that isn't weaver-y at all, Mammoth. Still trying to hammer out what all I should do to send it in as its been over a decade since I last did anythig like this.
Owen *Wildfire* Hollsinger
Nargalsius

Postby Ren » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:24 pm

SilverGnawer wrote:A few that have popped into my head: Yellow Journalism (Cunning), City Father (needs rewrite), Squirrel (because it is the city!), The Industrial Spirit (Hi, weaaaaver), and a /good/ Almighty Dollar/Spirit of Commerce. Something respecty might not be bad either.

I was actually having a discussion with some people about Almighty Dolla' and my hatred for how STUPID that totem was, and in the process, I went and reread its write-up on one of the websites I've been looking on for gifts. On that one, Almighty Dolla' was paired against Easy Credit (another totem I hate), as being two totem spirits that give mooostly the same thing, but hate each other because one (Easy Credit) is supplanting the other.

And I realized most of my hate for the damned totems was 1) their names were completely, stupidly terrible, and 2) they were really inexplicably American-centric. I mean, supposedly Almighty Dolla' rose along with the American economy, and that makes my eyes roll back into my skull, because, no, really? There was no reason for a spirit of commerce or paper money/coinage until America's economy rolled around? He's all about American money only, is he?

The discussion ended up talking about how a rewrite might be Currency and Credit. All physical currency, paper and coins, from all over, and his ban would keep the 'never use credit cards' thing (and maybe he would disapprove of checks too?), whereas Credit would be a spirit that had been around for a few decades, but was now rising to serious prominence and supplanting Currency (maybe they'd liked each other once upon a time, or at least Currency had been fond of Credit, up until Credit started being used over Currency) that sort've thing.

Meanwhile, I've come to the conclusion that Clashing Boom Boom's terrible name is a part of her ban. She's otherwise a ridiculously powerful totem, who only favors elite warriors, and is favored by Dies Ultimae (you know, the Walker camp that has found a way to let kin run in their packs--in the books anyway, so imagine kin with those boons). But man, her writeup lists all sorts of awesome names, and then they go with 'Clashing Boom Boom'. Has to be intentional. 'I am Chews-Rocks, Adren Ahroun Glass Walker who has killed Zorg-the-Made-Up, and I am alpha of the pack Raining Thunder, under the mighty CLASHING BOOM BOOM--STOP LAUGHING'.
Ren

Postby SilverGnawer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm

The names are stupid. I like the Currency vs Credit idea with local areas maybe having nicknames. Also, Credit would be taking a serious hit right now and Currency an upswing.

Either way, I really like the idea of conceptual spirits as totems too, especially in the city. Commerce, Currency, Credit, Mirrorglass, Radio, Newspaper and so on. Just...jesus. Something better than what is in the books.

Clash Clash Boom Boom. The only thing worse is the freaking General Lee. God. Such horrible stuff.
SilverGnawer

Postby Shell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:07 pm

Definitely love the idea of a Totem of Communication - perhaps, like the Glass Walkers, she has continually adapted. First became widely known under the era of the telegraph, then the telephone, and now the internet (yay intertubes!).

Boon:
Packs under MADE UP NAME are never out of touch with each other (automatically get that Charm)

Ban:
Members of the pack must have the latest communication technology on them at all times - or barring that, within a few days or weeks of them being released. This isn't necessarily the latest phone, but each advance in actual communication (3G -> 4G).

I would also love to see a write up for Alley Cat (even if Shelby would never follow her).
- Shelby
- Have a plot or plot seed that needs a GM? Just ask me!
Shell

Next

Return to The Lounge