Totems

General discussions, named after our Out of Character gathering point in our game.

Re: Totems

Postby SilverGnawer » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:34 pm

The Alley Cat write up is up--Kimpers put it up.

I do like that idea for Communication--it makes sense. Respect maybe? People often respect cutting edge technology.
SilverGnawer

Postby Shell » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 am

I'm not seeing Alley Cat - maybe I'm blind. And yeah, Respect certainly fits better for Communication than Wisdom ("Dude! That is the third new phone you've gotten this year!"), Cunning, or War.
- Shelby
- Have a plot or plot seed that needs a GM? Just ask me!
Shell

Postby SilverGnawer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 am

SilverGnawer

Postby Red » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:19 am

Aside from the stupid name... and boon... and ban... I kinda like the idea of clashing boom boom. A totem of war for the urrah gunslingers. Why not? Guns capture the imagination of humans, and have for quite a while. Surely, there's a beefy incarna out there associated with projectile weapon combat. I'd make it dishonourable - after all, other garou would say "You should use claws like Gaia intended." For a name... god, there's /so/ many good names out there. "Peace Maker" "Glock" "AK-47." Just pick any iconic gun name or nickname (I kinda like Peace Maker, come to think on it). Throw in something about trick shots, and never using claws when bullets will suffice, and you got yourself a totem.
Red

Postby Runtywolf » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 am

My understanding was that CBB was essentially a lesser flavor of Mars/Ares/etc. and so thus had boons applying to all weaponry, not just guns. Hence why it remains kinda beefy. However, the ban as I recall was pretty formidable, but it required heavy GM intervention. It was essentially 'if CBB asks you to do this thing, you /WILL/ do it, or she will pimp-slap you--not just drop you, but admonish you in the way a general would admonish serious insubordination.' Court martial by a totem incarnae doesn't sound too pleasant.
Character-bodies!
Earth-Whisperer
Ishmael
Karuvar
Dirk
Panlong, GMbot.
Runtywolf

Postby Ren » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:10 am

Runtywolf wrote:My understanding was that CBB was essentially a lesser flavor of Mars/Ares/etc. and so thus had boons applying to all weaponry, not just guns. Hence why it remains kinda beefy. However, the ban as I recall was pretty formidable, but it required heavy GM intervention. It was essentially 'if CBB asks you to do this thing, you /WILL/ do it, or she will pimp-slap you--not just drop you, but admonish you in the way a general would admonish serious insubordination.' Court martial by a totem incarnae doesn't sound too pleasant.

Pretty much this. And I really liked that CBB's writeup had the spirit as female, if it was in a form that would have a gender (fighter plane, not so much). She was also not just RAR WAR but also tactics. But she'd need to be converted to MUSH format. Twinky, awesome totem for tabletop, most of it doesn't work for our game.

One of Stourbridge Lion's appearances is that of a steampunk lion. That's just cooool. (One of the other ones is the actual steam engine train. Lulz.)
Ren

Postby MyLittleTalon » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:38 am

Going back to the original question, I am currently nearly finished on a completely new Totem, Lady Luck.

I am a goodly way through a first write for Trout (not city-centric, but more adaptable than Salmon), and I have some ideas brewing for Pike (A fish war-Totem! But not City).

I may pick up on Commerce to work on, unless someone else is champing at the bit to get going on that, as it is an ancient concept (in human terms anyway). I am reminded of the Gloranthan cult of Spare Grain, for those who know Runequest (the old tabletop game).

Community might work as a concept-based Totem? And Shyster (or a better variation, for the name) might make a good (if very disreputable) Cunning totem, perhaps.
Current PCs: Quidnunc * Norman * Topsy * Tristan * Quin * Charlie * Isla * MyLittleTalon (GMBot)
Former PCs: Winks * Esther * Memory-of-Talons * Petra * Barks-at-Mice * Ruth * Lucey * Fernando * Rat-Tale
MyLittleTalon

Postby SilverGnawer » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:59 pm

OH MY GOD LADY LUCK LOOOOOOVE. That is awesome. Seriously.

Community/Commerce/Shyster are all great concepts. I'd like the idea of 'local areas gives them local appropriate names' maybe? I can email back and forth about it with you when you're ready?
SilverGnawer

Postby MyLittleTalon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 am

So! I posted the next new Totem here- Trout! But I'm going to move him to his own thread instead to match the others.
Last edited by MyLittleTalon on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current PCs: Quidnunc * Norman * Topsy * Tristan * Quin * Charlie * Isla * MyLittleTalon (GMBot)
Former PCs: Winks * Esther * Memory-of-Talons * Petra * Barks-at-Mice * Ruth * Lucey * Fernando * Rat-Tale
MyLittleTalon

Postby Shell » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm

- Shelby
- Have a plot or plot seed that needs a GM? Just ask me!
Shell

Previous

Return to The Lounge